guest blogger, winter activity enthusiast
Fishing isn't just a warm water activity in Spearfish; ice fishing yields tasty trout year round, and the Forest Service says ice fishing is permitted on all lakes within the Black Hills National Forest.
All you need is:
- South Dakota fishing license
- Ice auger
- Ice fishing pole & bait
- A propane heater and an ice shack--not necessary per se, but worthy investments
- shoes with good traction
Make sure to have a full tank of gas when traveling in the winter and to check the forecast before you head out.
Ready to go?
Popular ice fishing spots include:
- Nearby Roubiax Lake, whose campground is open all year if you're up for camping it. Just be sure to have sleeping bags and other equipment designed for subzero temperatures--and never sleep with a propane heater on!
- Iron Creek Lake is another promising prospect as it is packed with rainbow trout. The convenience store is closed during winter, so bring all you need with you.
- Orman Dam on Owl creek provides the opportunity to catch walleye, smallmouth bass, and yellow perch.
Keep this in mind:
Safe ice thickness as recommended by the North Dakota department of Game Fish and Parks
Have fun out on the lake!